How it Works
The aim of Solarize is to simplify the process and lower the price of installing solar photovoltaic systems. The basic process is outlined below. For details about Solarize programs where you live, visit our Locations page.
- Let us know you’re interested by filling out the signup form for your location. Signing up only indicates your interest; it does not commit you to anything. If there is no current program in your location, email us and ask us to let you know when one begins.
- Once you sign up, you will be contacted by a Solarize installation company that is participating in the Solarize program. They will make an appointment with you to perform a free site assessment and answer any questions you may have. The assessment will tell you how suitable your home is for solar power and what size system is best for you.
- Use our calculator to see how much the state and federal solar energy tax credits could reduce the net price of your system.
- If you need financing, Admirals Bank and Self-Help Credit Union have loans customized for renewable energy systems. Your bank may also have lending options.
- If you decide to install solar, you will sign a contract with the installer. The company will coordinate all permits, equipment purchases, installation, interconnection and inspections. The more people participate, the lower the price will be, so tell all your neighbors!
- After your system is installed, solar power will begin reducing your electric bill right away. An optimally-sized system will reduce your monthly bill by an average of 60-80%. See “What solar products are available?” on the FAQ page for more details about the equipment.
- When you file your taxes, you can get back up to 35% of the cost of the system as state tax credits and up to 30% as federal tax credits. Learn more about the tax credits.